During the winter months we think of chilly temperatures and maybe occasional snow on the ground. Pests aren’t always on our radar, but should they be? Yes, t’s time to think about winter pest control.
Winter pests do exist, so taking certain precautions during these winter months is worth the effort. The National Pest Management Association encourages homeowners to be aware of pests that seek warmth and shelter when it’s cold outside. These pests might include cockroaches, bed bugs, spiders, and mice. If just the thought of these critters in your home has you squirming, consider hiring a professional extermination company.
Helpful Tips for Winter Pest Control
- Identify cracks and openings that might exist on the exterior of your home, and seal them with caulk and steel wool. Eliminating an easy way in, can make all the difference.
- Keep storage boxes and items that collect clutter off the floor, eliminating a space for pests like mice to hide.
- Look for droppings or punctures in food items that can be common when mice are present.
- Eliminate and manage sources where moisture is present, especially in a basement or crawl space. Keeping your spaces dry is always a measure of prevention.
- Remove garbage and vacuum floors to keep them free of crumbs.
Bed bugs are pests that can be found in all seasons. They can also be difficult to get rid of without the help of a professional exterminator. There are a few tell-tale signs related to the presence of bed bugs, including; rust-colored stains on bedding, dark fecal spots on mattresses, musty odors, and red/itchy bites. If you suspect a possible presence of bed bugs, or other winter pests in your home, there are professionals that are available to assess and eliminate the problem. Keep your home a winter wonderland!